Friday, November 19, 2010

"'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life."

For those "Office" fans, here is a quote that was said by Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott that I couldn't stop thinking about yesterday..
Michael Scott: "What is the most aspiring thing I ever said to you?"
Dwight Schrute: "'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life."

So yesterday was quite an interesting day. The past couple days I have been deep cleaning the whole house. And I would have been done yesterday, but something happened...
I have had a pair of sandals in the bathroom for a little while and they were there to remind me to clean them off because the bottoms had mud on them. Well, I decided that it was way past due to have these cleaned off and that I needed to do them before I forgot again. So I brought them outside to clean them off. Well, when I stepped outside the door closed (I can't remember if I meant to close it, or if it closed on it's own)...this is actually a problem for us. The handle is almost always locked, which means...once that door is closed, you are locked out. And this is exactly what happened to me. I realized this immediately and freaked! I had no shoes on, which thankfully I had the sandals with me (it's a good thing I wasn't taking out the trash or something). I had no keys, no phone, nothing. And, because it is becoming winter and it has been a little chilly out, we had no windows open..which means there was absolutely no way for me to get inside without a key.
I honestly did not know what to do. Kyle had just left about 20 minutes beforehand for school and he was going to be gone for 5 hours. I felt like I was honestly doomed. So, I went to our neighbors to use a phone. I tried calling Kyle, no answer. I tried calling our friend, Melissa, no answer. I called Melissa's husband, Forrest, and he answered! I asked him if Melissa was home, because she wasn't answering (Forrest was working at the time). He said that she should be. So, once I got off the phone I realized I had to walk to Melissa's house. I had absolutely no other option. And I definitely couldn't just hang out at our neighbors for 5 hours and I wasn't going to just hang out on the steps at our back door. So, I decided to walk the [at least] one mile to the Hammeren's....and let me tell ya, it was kind of scary. The only way to get there is walking along side the main road, State Street, and the cars are going 55-60 mph on the road. Luckily, there was a side walk for...half the time. But, I survived.
I hung out at the Hammeren's till Kyle was done with his school stuff. It was quite an adventure.

Things that I am oh so thankful for:
  1. That I had my sandals with me...or else I would've gone barefoot.
  2. The weather was nice; not friggid or chilly. And it wasn't rainy or snowy.
  3. The Hammeren's live pretty close.
  4. Getting there safely. I was afraid of a car accidentally swerving into me.
  5. That my calves weren't in as much pain as they were the day before (I'll explain..)
  6. For friends that are so nice to let me hang out at their house while they were gone.
  7. For locking myself out when I did, not an hour later when it would've been dark.
  8. For a Heavenly Father being there to help me and comfort me..
Explanation for #5: On Monday, Melissa and I worked out and afterward we stretched. Well, apparently I stretched my calves way too much which caused the bottom of my right foot to hurt really bad when I walked. This happens when your calves get too stretched out and it is straining the bottom of your foot (Forrest, being a physical therapist assistant-thank goodness for him!-explained this to me, but I know I missed a lot of the details..but that is the jist of it). So, my foot was hurting that night, but the next day my foot was fine, but my calves were killing me. I seriously looked retarded. I had 2 hurt calves, which led to 2 limping legs..try picturing that in your mind...And, honestly, they hurt so bad that I tried not walking so much. Anyway, yesterday they were feeling SO MUCH better. I could walk without limping, although they still hurt a little..it was definitely not bad at all...I can't imagine what it would've been like if they hurt still like before...

Anyway, thanks for reading!! Sorry it was such a long post, but I had so much to tell and explain!

No comments:

Post a Comment