Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tres de Mayo

I made dinner tonight in remembrance of Cinco de Mayo (I couldn't do it on the 5th because I worked). I made some yummy food and it all turned out great! :) I was planning on making some homemade Mexican rice, but I forgot about it while making everything else..that'll be for next time I make a Mexican dinner (which probably come sooner than later).
Here are the dishes that I made:
Black Bean Salsa
I would give this a 3.5 star. It was pretty good, but hardly any spice. I still find my mom's recipe to be my favorite salsa, but I'll probably try this one again and tweak it again just for kicks.
Southwestern Egg Rolls
I would give these a 4 star. Really yummy! Definitely recommend these. I feel like there is still something missing in the recipe, but they are still pretty good as is.
Festive Spinach Queso Dip
I give this a 3 star. It was okay. I think it was the cream cheese that I didn't like too much. It seemed to mess with the taste (and smell...), which made me not like it as much. My dad liked it, which is why I gave it a 3 star. On the website where I got it, I found both good and bad reviews for it. So, didn't know what to expect for it. This was meant to be the dipping sauce for the egg rolls.

White Sauce Enchiladas
I give these 4.5 stars. I have been making these for a while now and I love them each time. They are a winner. Anyone that I have made these for they loved. So I definitely recommend them! I got this recipe from my cook book, actually. It's the Homes and Garden (pink) recipe book. Great book for recipes!!
Here is the recipe:

Cook 2 cups of rice (I actually only do about a cup. I found 2 cups was too much.)
1 can (6 oz) of green chiles
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken (can use hamburger)

Mix all together and place in flour or corn tortillas. Roll up and place them in a 9x13" pan.

Sauce:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup salse
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese

Cook on stove top and pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Red Sauce Enchiladas: Same as above for enchilada. 1 Enchilada sauce package, mix as directed. Pour over tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. And bake as directed above.

Note: I always do the red sauce, and it is oh-so good! I haven't tried the white sauce yet, but I am sure it is just as good. I will have to try it one of these times. I will let you know how it is when I do. Also, for the red sauce, you can also just buy a can of the pre-made enchilada sauce, it's the same thing.

If you try these recipes, let me know how it goes and how you like them! :)
Have fun!

Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment